The Lord of the Rings Meme | ten scenes (2/10)
Farewell to Lórien.
This is my favorite fucking scene.
If you’ve read the Silmarillion, you know who Fëanor was. If you don’t, Fëanor was the dickhead who created the Silmarils: three indescribably beautiful and magical jewels that contained the light and essence of the world before it became flawed. They were the catatlyst for basically every important thing that happened in the First Age of Middle Earth.
It is thought that the inspiration for the Silmarils came to Fëanor from the sight of Galadriel’s shining, silver-gold hair.
He begged her three times for single strand of her beautiful hair. And every time, Galadriel refused him. Even when she was young, Galadriel’s ability to see into other’s hearts was very strong, and she knew that Fëanor was filled with nothing but fire and greed.
Fast forward to the end of the Third Age.
Gimli, visiting Lorien, is also struck by Galadriel’s beauty. During the scene where she’s passing out her parting gifts to the Fellowship, Galadriel stops empty-handed in front of Gimli, because she doesn’t know what to offer a Dwarf. Gimli tells her: no gold, no treasure… just a single strand of hair to remember her beauty by.
She gives him three. Three.
And this is why Gimli gets to be an Elf Friend, people. Because Galadriel looks at him and thinks he deserves what she refused the greatest Elf who ever lived—- and then twice that. And because he has no idea of the significance of what she’s just given him, but he’s going to treasure it the rest of his life anyway.
Just look at that smile on Legolas’s face in the last panel. He gets it. He knows the backstory. And I’m pretty sure this is the moment he reconsiders whether Elves and Dwarves can’t be friends after all.
Holy shit I’ve been meaning to read the Silmarillion for ages, getting on that now
122619 Notes/ Hide
- tropeslayer likes this
- the-fall-of-the-eleventh-hour reblogged this from dirtydirtychai
- the-fall-of-the-eleventh-hour likes this
- deepseaoctopus reblogged this from lokiwinchester
- tonybearuk likes this
- epocheternityhunter reblogged this from mad-maddie
- epocheternityhunter likes this
- only-the-shadow-knows reblogged this from nerdsarerhapsodic
- kaladamn-you-fine likes this
- khamulthenazgul reblogged this from leinton
- leinton reblogged this from queenofthewilis
- mariposagal reblogged this from queenofthewilis
- queenofthewilis reblogged this from fuckyeahdiomedes
- naiya05 likes this
- safe-fromtheweight-oftheworld likes this
- alicelostinneverland reblogged this from soundsofsunset
- alltheprettyshinythings reblogged this from helena-lastnameredacted
- alltheprettyshinythings likes this
- underablushingmoon reblogged this from ximajs
- ashleyofasgard likes this
- helena-lastnameredacted reblogged this from felixdawkins22
- pettook reblogged this from justanothernewt
- pettook likes this
- justanothernewt reblogged this from domootroo
- erinmar13 reblogged this from felixdawkins22
- scoob2222 reblogged this from felixdawkins22
- felixdawkins22 reblogged this from iamdouchla
- thedeadnon-gender-specificperson reblogged this from aryaesque
- thedeadnon-gender-specificperson likes this
- striffy1 reblogged this from domootroo
- princesswithnoprincee likes this
- domootroo reblogged this from katimus
- livelovemedia reblogged this from wildehack
- ximajs reblogged this from aryaesque
- futurebunnyoverlordoftheuniverse likes this
- winternightchild likes this
- winternightchild reblogged this from aryaesque
- theworldserpent reblogged this from wimey
- mr-elemental likes this
- fanimeus likes this
- dyedgreyillusion reblogged this from leechington
- leechington reblogged this from katimus
- spooky-science likes this
- stitchedmoon likes this
- leechington likes this
- emotionalfrittata likes this
- katimus reblogged this from megaparsec
- katimus likes this
- totumd97 reblogged this from aryaesque
- mew-senpai reblogged this from cyber-bun